Skip to main content

Monticello (the House)

Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:

"Delicious Flowering Shrubs" and Cape Bulbs in the Monticello Greenhouse by Peggy Cornett Newcomb, (April 1997), E332.2 .A5 1997A

Identifier: id3990
Scope and Contents Jefferson’s interest in all things botanical meant that his garden and greenhouse contained a number of unusual plants that originated in other parts of the world. Many of the European elite maintained greenhouses (orangeries) from the 18th century onward, and Jefferson planned to establish a greenhouse at Monticello to permit him to grow more delicate plants, seeds, and bulbs throughout the year. Initially he planned to have a free-standing, two-story structure on Mulberry Row but ultimately...
Dates: E332.2 .A5 1997A

Lessons from Tuckahoe by Camille Wells, (April 1999), E332.2 .A5 1999A

Identifier: id4032
Scope and Contents Jefferson spent his early childhood at the Randolph estate of Tuckahoe, and the house’s evolving structure and usage played an important role in his architectural imagination. Thomas Mann Randolph expanded the house from his grandfather Thomas Randolph’s original two-story, four-room abode to a large H-shaped home with a spacious saloon joining the symmetrical wings. The interior finish of the hyphen and south wing was likely done by Richard Bayliss (who worked on Carter’s Grove and Wilton),...
Dates: E332.2 .A5 1999A

Mad Dogs and Faithful Servants by Lucia C. Stanton, (November 1989), E332.2 .A5 1989N

Identifier: id3974
Scope and Contents Jefferson had mixed feelings about dogs, as they were both dangerous -- as predators when not properly fed and as disease-carriers when rabid -- and useful farm animals. He obtained Bergère, an intelligent and industrious sheep dog from France, whom the slave Isaac recalls along with some of Jefferson’s other eccentrically named pets and animals. Though Jefferson sympathized with Judge Richard Peters (who in 1810 complained of the dangers of dogs to sheep) and Peter Minor of Albemarle (who...
Dates: E332.2 .A5 1989N

The Art of Roofing by William L. Beiswanger, (November 1992), E332.2 .A5 1992N

Identifier: id3980
Scope and Contents Jefferson was a life-long admirer, student, and designer of architecture. His ever-evolving plans for Monticello included his own simplified version of the Delorme dome (which he saw at Halle au Blé, Paris in 1786 and to which he refers in his famous “Head and Heart” letter to Maria Cosway, excerpt included), the serrated “zig-zag” he invented for the low-grade roof, and the tin-coated iron shingles he used and advocated (first applied by Ase Brooks but later by “a common negro man”). Though...
Dates: E332.2 .A5 1992N

The Confederate Period by James A. Bear, (April 1970), E332.2 .A5 1970A

Identifier: id3535
Scope and Contents Uriah Levy died in 1862, at which point Monticello had fallen into disrepair and the Civil War was already underway. The house was seized by the Virginia secessionist government under the Sequestration Act, despite the efforts of George Carr to save the property. Edward C. Mead and Jefferson M. Levy left brief, unverifiable accounts of Confederate Government confiscation of and possible damage to the property.
Dates: E332.2 .A5 1970A

The Levy Family and Monticello, 1834-1923 by Melvin Urofsky, (November 2001), E332.2 .A5 2001N

Identifier: id4037
Scope and Contents Upon Jefferson’s death, his dire financial situation required the sale of Monticello and most of the belongings to pay off his debt. The house fell into disrepair as it was transferred from one owner to another, until finally Jefferson Levy (the nephew of one of the past owners) purchased it and restored the House to its earlier grandeur in the late 19th century. Ultimately, Levy agreed to sell his home for $500,000 to the Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation in 1923; the Foundation has...
Dates: E332.2 .A5 2001N

The Ways to Monticello by Ann M. Lucas, (November 1996), E332.2 .A5 1996N

Identifier: id3989
Scope and Contents Accounts of several visitors’ journeys to Monticello in anticipation of the dedication of the Thomas Jefferson Parkway (Fall 1996). Anna Thornton, Augustus John Foster, Margaret Bayard Smith, Francis Calley Gray, George Ticknor, Lt. Francis Hall, and Duke Bernhard of Saze-Weimer-Eisenach all describe the treacherous path up the mountain through untamed forest to an ultimately rewarding vista at the summit and the great company of Thomas Jefferson and his family.
Dates: E332.2 .A5 1996N

Trial Chronology of the Organization of the Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation by James A. Bear, (April 1973), E332.2 .A5 1973A

Identifier: id3538
Scope and Contents An outline of the major dates, events, and key players in the creation of the Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation and the purchase of Monticello from Jefferson Monroe Levy as a "shrine." Stuart G. Gibboney was the first president of the Foundation and led the discussions with John Henry Ranger, financial adviser to Levy, as well as the challenging and often disappointing fundraising efforts. By December 1923 Monticello was open, Thomas Rhodes was the superintendent, Benjamin Carr and Oliver...
Dates: E332.2 .A5 1973A